The Mission to Haiti began in the late 1990’s when Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russian (ROCOR) sent Archpriest Gregory Williams (1941-2016) to truth-seeking inquirers of the Orthodox Faith in that country. Mission parishes and schools quickly sprang up. Over the years the Orthodox Haitians– an amazing group of people–have remained steadfast through tumultuous ecclesiastic problems, hurricanes, earthquakes, political instability and extreme poverty. The Haitian Orthodox Mission, which is now part of the American Eparchy of the Church of the Genuine Orthodox Christians of Greece, now includes three parishes and three schools, with approximately eight hundred students attending the schools.
All three parishes in Haiti require maintenance and in the case of St. Augustine’s Orthodox Church, some finishing touches. The school at St. Augustine’s (ICOSA: Institution Chrétienne Orthodoxe Saint Augustin) is in need of a multitude of building repairs. It is our hope to complete construction on the buildings, provide refurbished classrooms, construct adequate kitchen and bathroom facilities, to supply a library for spiritual reading (in French) and to construct a medical clinic.